ALL CLEAR: Nearby police activity has concluded. Campus has reopened.

Reciprocity Agreement

Washington community and technical colleges offer reciprocity to students transferring within the state's community and technical college system who are pursuing A.A., A.B., or A.S. or A.S.-T. degrees. Students who complete an individual course that meets distribution degree requirements or fulfills entire areas of their degree requirements at one college will be considered to have met those same requirements if they plan to complete the same degree when they transfer to another community or technical college in Washington. These degree requirements include Communication Skills, Quantitative Skills, or one or more Distribution Area requirements. Students must initiate the review process and must be prepared to provide necessary documentation. For complete information, students should contact the Registrar's Office at each college.

Transfer Rights & Responsibilities

Students have the right to fair and equitable treatment from the public colleges and universities of the state of Washington. They have the right to expect that colleges will make reasonable efforts to make accurate and current information available. It is the students' responsibility, in turn, to obtain all necessary information concerning their educational objectives and changes in academic plans. Students who change their majors or degree programs are fully responsible for meeting new requirements. The colleges will make every effort to help make transitions as smooth as possible.

Review & Appeal

Students encountering transfer difficulties should first seek resolution through the receiving institution's transfer officer. If the problem is not resolved at this level, students may appeal in writing to the transfer officer of the sending institution. The transfer officers will attempt to resolve the problem.If the issue is not resolved within two weeks, the matter is referred to the two chief academic/instructional officers for resolution. Within two weeks a decision will be made by the receiving institution. Unresolved disputes are referred to a special committee for review and recommendations. The chief academic officers of both institutions must respond to committee recommendations within four weeks, in a formal report indicating actions to be taken to resolve the problem.

Transfer Agreements

The baccalaureate (four-year) colleges and universities listed below subscribe to the Inter college Relations Commissions Guidelines for direct transfer degree (DTA). The Seattle Community Colleges offer both Associate of Arts and Associate of Science DTA degrees that meet these ICRC Guidelines. See your advisor for details of transfer.

  • Bastyr University
  • Central Washington University
  • City University
  • Cornish College of the Arts
  • Eastern Washington University
  • The Evergreen State College
  • Gonzaga University
  • Heritage University
  • Northwest University
  • Pacific Lutheran University
  • St. Martin's College
  • Seattle Pacific University
  • Seattle University
  • Trinity Lutheran University
  • University of Washington
  • University of Washington - Bothell
  • University of Washington - Tacoma
  • Washington State University
  • Washington State University - Tri-Cities
  • Washington State University - Vancouver
  • Western Washington University
  • Whitworth College

While the following colleges and universities generally accept the guidelines for transfer of courses, they do not accept the full DTA as a block transfer of courses. See your advisor for transfer information for these schools.

  • Art Institute of Seattle
  • University of Puget Sound

The following colleges and universities also accept transfer credits from the Seattle Community Colleges, but are accredited by regional associations other than the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. (See accreditation, page 2.) See your advisor for transfer information on these schools.

  • Antioch University
  • Capella University
  • DeVry University
  • University of Phoenix

Colleges may also have individual agreements with other colleges and universities. See the College Transfer sections for each college.

Other Transfer Opportunities

Bachelor’s Degree Program Partnerships with South Seattle College

  • Eastern Washington University: BS in Technology, Applied Technology Option
  • Heritage University: BA in Education, K-8 and ESL, Business Administration or Business Management

Contact Us

All of the advisors at South are ready to help you plan your transfer! To make a transfer planning appointment, please call 206-934-5387.

For information about transfer events and opportunities, please contact Lynn Christiansen at


Robert Smith Building
(RSB 66)


Monday - Thursday:
8 am to 4:30 pm
9 am to 4:30 pm