Tips for exploring your options

  • Meet with an Advisor or Counselor at South Seattle Community College for Career Counseling and/or Major Exploration. Schedule an appointment by calling 206-934-5387.
  • Think about your academic strengths and weaknesses: what subjects come naturally to you and what subjects are challenging?
  • Make a list of subjects that interest you and start researching related majors.
  • Discover what prerequisite classes are needed for that major.
  • Do an internship to try out an industry or job.
  • Complete informational interviews with people who have earned your major or have a job you would like to have in the future.
  • Attend quarterly transfer fairs and visits by college representatives. Make a list of questions you have and spend time with the representative from the schools you are interested in attending.

Transfer Advocate Program

The Transfer Advocate Program (TAP) is designed to connect South Seattle Community College (SSCC) Students to SSCC Faculty and Staff who either have attended a 4-year university of have a major or career the students are interested in pursuing.

Transfer Advocates are made up faculty and staff who have volunteered their time to share their experiences with students interested in transferring to their alma mater or in their field of study. The idea is simple: If you are thinking of studying Computer Science, it’s a good idea for you to talk to someone who studies Computer Science to learn more about the major. We hope that this program will help students explore different transfer schools and majors, and to build relationships with staff and faculty.

Transfer Advocates will share their experiences with students. They will not provide counseling or advising.

The Transfer Advocate Program (TAP) Database

The lists provided are a list of SSCC faculty and staff who have signed up to be available to students for this reason. They are all more than happy to meet or talk with you!

There are two lists available for download:

Instructions for Students:

  • View the List of Transfer Advocates.
  • Find one or more people on the list you would like to meet.
  • Contact the Advocate. Tell the person you would like to meet to talk about the Transfer Advocate Program and learn more about their major or college.
  • Make an appointment to meet with the Advocate.

Student expectations to participate:          

  • You must be a South Seattle Community College student
  • Use the list on this website to reach out to the faculty or staff
  • Please use the phone # or email listed
  • When reaching out, ask them when the best time is to meet or talk to them is
  • Give the Faculty/Staff at least one week to get back to you
  • Remember, Transfer Advocates are not Counselors or Advisors- they are available to share their experiences about the campus they attended, their major or the career/field they work in!

Are you a SSCC Faculty or Staff and interested in being a Transfer Advocate?
For further information and sign-up instructions, please contact Chanda Ishisaka at

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Students

  1. What do I say when I contact the Transfer Advocate?
  2. Sample email or phone message, “Hi, my name is______. I am interested in talking to you about your (alma mater/the university you attended) OR your major. Would you be available to talk to me in more detail about your experiences?”

  3. Why should I contact a Transfer Advocate?
  4. Transfer Advocates are a resource for you! They will give you insight into campuses you may not have considered and have a lot of experience in their career or field. They may connect you to resources on the campus you want to go to or have ideas about internships. They are here to support you reach your goals!

  5. How do I contact a Transfer Advocate?
  6. Find the list of current transfer advocates for download at the top of this webpage. Remember to check back as we expect the list to continue to grow!

Major Preparation

A new trend among four-year universities is the preference, or requirement, for students to be “major-ready”. This means that, in addition to completing the degree requirements for your transfer degree, you also need to be ready to apply or join your major when you transfer. Many majors have prerequisite classes you must take prior to being admitted to that particular major or program. Schools will list these requirements on their web site.

Example Listing of Prerequisite courses:
UW Academic Planning Worksheets
WWU Major Planning

In addition, the following links may be helpful as you prepare for your major. Please remember to check with each four-year school to ensure you are taking the correct courses as information may change without notice.

Major Guides

Types of Degrees

College Transfer degrees fulfill the general undergraduate requirements for transfer to a university.

Associate of Arts: The Associate of Arts (A.A.) Degree (Direct Transfer Agreement or DTA) is a 90-credit transfer degree that fulfills the general education requirements for most four-year degrees in arts and sciences. SSCC offers several tailored degrees in the following areas: Business, Asian Pacific Islander Studies, and Elementary Education.

South Seattle Associate of Arts Planning Sheet
South Seattle Associate of Arts, Business Planning Sheet  

Associate of Science: The Associate of Science (A.S.) is also intended to be a transfer degree. However, there are certain major areas of study in which the student may not be able to take all the courses necessary to transfer with junior standing. SSCC offers several tailored degrees in the following areas: Engineering/Computer Science or Biological Sciences/Chemistry.

Associates of Science Track 1

Associates of Science Track 2

Professional Technical Degrees and certificates to prepare you for immediate employment. These technical credits may be transferable toward 
 a baccalaureate degree at certain four-year schools, as long as specific related instruction courses have been successfully completed. Not all colleges/universities offer this; please see advisors or check with the university/college of your choice.

Associate of Applied Science-Transfer: The A.A.S.-T allows students to complete a vocational/technical program and then apply his/her technical credits toward a baccalaureate degree at certain four-year schools, as long as specific related instruction courses have been successfully completed. Not all colleges/universities offer this; please see advisors or check with the university/college of your choice.

Washington State Direct Transfer Agreement

The Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) ensures that a student who completes an appropriate Associate degree at SSCC will have satisfied the lower division education requirements and will be granted junior standing at the following schools:

Bastyr University
Central Washington University
City University
Cornish College of the Arts
Eastern Washington University
The Evergreen State College
Gonzaga University
Heritage University
Northwest University
Pacific Lutheran University
Saint Martin’s University
Seattle Pacific University
Seattle University
Trinity Lutheran University
University of Washington-Bothell
University of Washington-Tacoma
Washington State University
Washington State University-Tri-Cities
Washington State University – Vancouver
Western Washington University
Whitworth College

The DTA does not guarantee admission to the university or to the specific program/major.


Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
Once you have decided on schools to apply to, you should start considering how to pay for your education.

The first step is to go to: and begin your official Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Keep in mind to be eligible for many scholarships, you still must apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). Check the Financial Aid page on each institutions website for possible scholarships.

The Financial Aid process can take 2-3 months so begin at least that far in advance of the quarter you want to start college.

Other Forms of Financial Aid
Check here for more financial aid and scholarship information:

For more information on Veteran Educational Benefits please visit:

Check out: This is a one-stop shopping site for scholarships in Washington State.

During the application process to transfer institutions, check on available scholarships specifically for transfer students! Many colleges have them. Check with each institution as well as the community college where you are currently attending.

Important Materials

Transfer Guide:
Information on the transfer process including choosing your major, writing the personal statement, applying to colleges, and resources to assist you in this process. Download the Transfer Guide.

Transfer Timeline:
View the Transfer Timeline by academic credits to track your progress towards transfer

Washington State Colleges and Universities:
Your guide to the websites for Washington State colleges and universities.
Many Washington state colleges and universities have extension branches located at community colleges. See the list for 4-Year extension branches.

Glossary for Transfer Students:
Your guide to the vocabulary words used in the transfer process.

Foreign Language Requirements:
Information on Foreign Language admission requirements at various four-year universities (PDF).

Choosing a School

In order to find the schools that are the best fit for you as a student and a person, it is important to spend time evaluating yourself and your goals. The link below provides some tips and questions to ask yourself to help you with this process. Please also see our Resources and Links page for help with your college search.


Robert Smith Building
(RSB 66)


Monday - Thursday:
8 am to 4:30 pm
9 am to 4:30 pm