PROGRAM NAME: Buckland-SCCD Teach in China Program
PROGRAM DATES: February & September start dates
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 15 for September start date and December 15 for February start date.
PROGRAM FOCUS: English as a Second Language Training, Chinese Culture and Language.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The Seattle Community Colleges have established an agreement with Buckland International Education Group in China to allow community college students without Bachelor’s degrees or Teaching ESL credentials to have a paid teaching experience in China. Contracts are for 4.5 months (semester). Teaching takes place throughout China in public elementary, junior high and senior high schools. Initial Expenses required.
- 15 hrs week in classroom, Mon-Fri generally 20 teaching periods x 45 min lessons (note: these are your “contact hours” with your classes and does not include time to do lesson planning and follow up/correcting of class assignments)
- English Corner, conversation practice for 2 additional hours/week
- Any additional instruction is paid at 100 yuan/hour (approx. $16)
Buckland Provides the Following Compensation
- 4,000 yuan month ($632; may be higher if applicant has a Bachelor’s degree or TESL credentials)
- Paid airfare/travel from Seattle to Guilin or Option 2: 4,000 yuan airfare stipend at completion of semester ($632)
- Fully furnished apartment and 200 yuan ($32) toward utilities, usually adequate
- Paid national holidays; up to 15 paid sick days with doctor’s letter
- Bicycle usage
- Chinese lessons once/week
- Private apartment or with one roommate (another foreign teacher, same sex)
- 200 yuan stipend toward utilities ($32; usually covers)
- Apartment includes basic furniture, bedding, washing machine, internet access, TV, air conditioner, kitchen basics (fridge, microwave, hot plate, pots/pans, utensils)
- Meals are usually available at school for minimal cost
For more information: