South Seattle College Alert: Opening is delayed two hours on Friday, Dec. 9, due to inclement weather. Campuses will open at 10 a.m.

Informal Complaint Process

  1. Schedule a time to meet with the Student Advocate for guidance about the process.
  2. Gather supporting documentation.
  3. Request a meeting with the person who the complaint is about.
  4. If the issue is not resolved during the meeting, take your concern to the department head.
  5. If the issue is not resolved after meeting with the department head, file a formal complaint.