Access to Student Records
Without written permission of the student, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) forbids discussion of student progress with anyone other than the student and/or high school counselor. For more information see our district Student Rights and Educational Records page.
Parents/Guardians must sign their student’s Enrollment Verification every quarter before they can register. Students must schedule an appointment with a Running Start advisor to register. Parents are strongly advised to also attend this appointment. Students will not pay tuition but there may be other fees associated with the classes they choose. Students are expected to pay these fees at the cashier's office once they have registered. Registration is not complete until these fees are paid. Students will be dropped from classes for failure to pay fees.
If the weather seems questionable, there is a disaster or a power outage and you are concerned if the campus is closed and classes have been cancelled, please follow the steps below. Note that South is open and classes are running unless there is a message indicating that we are closed.
To find out if South campus is closed:
- Visit SchoolReport.org
- Click the "Colleges" button in the main menu and look for South Seattle College.
- Click the college name "South Seattle College".
- Read the message under the college name.
- Take note of the message and confirm the "active dates" and time.
- If there is no message, South is open and classes are running
- Call the college main telephone at 206.934-5300
- Check South Seattle College web site home page.
Planning for the Future
CheckOutACollege.com offers information about programs of study and BA's offered at community colleges. It is also a great tool to discover what you are interested in studying!
Resources for Running Start students and their parents
- Starting fall of 2011, the Washington State Legislature will limit the combined high school and college credits the State will fund for each student. Students who choose to enroll above the 1.2 FTE will pay per-credit college tuition for every credit in excess of the combined limit.
- Strengths and limitations of participating in Running Start (PDF 242KB). encourages students and their parents to carefully consider all their options. Running Start is a fantastic opportunity, but college academics are much different than high school and it is important that the student be academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for college.