The COMPASS (College Placement Test)
- Required of all students who have not completed college level math or English composition
- Assesses students' skills in Reading, Writing Skills, Math, or English as a Second Language
- Determines placement of students in appropriate courses
- Running Start only covers tuition for courses 100-level and above (college level), therefore if a student does not test into college level courses they are not eligible for Running Start.
Exceptions to taking the COMPASS
How to sign-up for the COMPASS:
- Obtain Student Identification Number (SID) by applying to South online. You will get an email with your acceptance and your student ID number within 2 business days.
- Prepare for the COMPASS
- Review on-line practice tests and other resources
- Attend a free COMPASS test Prep workshop
- Check Assessment Office testing calendar and decide when to take the COMPASS
- Pay testing fee ($19.00) at Cashier
- If you qualify for free or reduced lunch at your high school, you can receive one free testing voucher with a fee waiver form signed by your high school counselor
- Bring the signed fee waiver form to the Advising Center to get your waiver authorized and then to the Cashier to get a receipt
- Bring receipt along with a valid, state-issued photo identification to test session
- Schedule an advising appointment with a Running Start advisor
Note: Colleges and universities recommend taking mathematics courses throughout high school or continuing to take mathematics at a college.