Welcome to the Running Start program at South!
Running Start is an exciting option that allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll tuition-free in college courses. Credits earned at South Seattle College can satisfy high school graduation requirements and are transferable to most 4-year colleges and universities.
- Students need to have achieved junior or senior status as determined by their Washington state public high school. Home-schooled students may also access Running Start.
- Students need to demonstrate they are prepared for college-level work by taking our English and Math assessment test and placing into college-level English (ENGL&101) and/or college-level math.
What does Running Start Cost?
Tuition for college level courses is free! The number of credits you are eligible to take for free is determined by your high school counselor based on the number of high school classes you are taking at the same time.
Students are responsible for books, transportation and mandatory student fees. Students eligible for free or reduced lunch at their high school are eligible for the book loan and fee waiver program.
Important Upcoming Dates
Please be aware that the community college schedule will be different than your high school schedule.
- January 5, 2015: Winter quarter classes begin
- January 7, 2015: New Student Orientation @ 3:30 pm in RS 30
- February 17, 2015: Spring Quarter Registration Begins
- March 25, 2015: Winter quarter ends
- April 6, 2015: Spring quarter begins