Welcome to the Running Start program at South Seattle Community College! Running Start is an exciting option that allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll tuition-free in college courses, depending on how many courses students take at their high school. Credits earned at South Seattle Community College are transferable to most 4-year colleges and universities, and can satisfy high school graduation requirements.
2013 Running Start Events
- Running Start Enrollment Information Sessions: Learn about how to enroll as a Running Start student
- Tuesday November 5, 2013, 3:30 to 4:30pm in RSB 30
- Winter quarter 2014 registration begins Monday November 4, 2013. Classes fill up fast, don’t wait to come in and register. Call 206.934.5387 and make an appointment to see a Running Start advisor!
- Winter quarter begins on Monday January 6, 2014.
- Returning students must have an Enrollment Verification form signed by their high school counselor and their parent or guardian each quarter.
- New Student Orientation: Winter quarter 2014
- Running Start New Student Orientation is Tuesday January 7, 2014 in RSB 30.
- Please RSVP by email to Lynn.Christiansen@seattlecolleges.edu, or by calling 206.934.6478.
- Orientation is mandatory for new students starting winter quarter and any Running Start student who had not yet attended an orientation session.
Steps to Become a Running Start Student
- Do you want to enroll as a Running Start student? You must be a junior or senior (class standing is determined by the high school), and registered with a public school.
- Pick up an enrollment packet from the Running Start Office in Student Services (Robert Smith Building)
- Take the COMPASS test. You must qualify academically for Running Start, it is important to prepare for the COMPASS.
- Review your COMPASS scores with a Running Start adviser in the Student Services Office.
- Meet with your high school counselor; they will help you complete the Enrollment Verification form. You must have this form fully filled out and signed before you can register for classes.
- Call 206-934-5387 and make a registration appointment with a Running Start advisor. Bring your Enrollment Verification form filled out and signed. You cannot register without a signed form and a new form is required every quarter. The advisor will help you choose classes and get enrolled. Timing is important, and courses fill up quickly. Please see deadlines below.
- If you have questions or need more information, please contact us!
Please be aware that the community college schedule will be different than your high school schedule.
- November 4, 2013: Winter quarter registration opens
- December 12, 2012: Last day of fall quarter
- January 6, 2014: Winter quarter classes begin
- February 18, 2014: Spring quarter registration opens
- March 26, 2014: Last day winter quarter
- April 7, 2014: Spring quarter classes begin
- June 20, 2014: Last day of spring quarter