Welcome to South Seattle College (South) and the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in Professional Technical Teacher Education (Teach Tech) program. This program prepares students who have completed a two-year technical degree or approved associate degree and have a minimum of 2 years related work experience for technical teaching positions in business, apprenticeship and at community or technical colleges.
This 90-credit degree program offers industry professionals a pathway to becoming a skilled Technical Education Teacher. The program emphasizes upper-division coursework that focuses on the complexities of the adult learner, the role of community colleges in society, instructional methods in workforce education and issues of equity. Students will learn how to shift their focus from teaching purely for content mastery to student-centered learning and leadership.
The goals of the BAS Program are to:
- Create an affordable educational pathway for individuals currently working in industry or at community and technical colleges to complete a bachelor degree program without having to leave the state or resign from a job.
- Provide an avenue for individuals currently working in industry or at community and technical colleges to gain skills that will allow them to become more effective teachers.
- Offer the opportunity for people working within community and technical colleges to broaden and advance their skills.
- Prepare employees who can fill the critical unmet demand for professional technical teachers in various areas of heavy duty industry; including Diesel Maintenance, Aviation Maintenance, Welding, and Automotive Technology.
- Develop a well-regarded bachelor degree program that will create a conduit for graduates who wish to enter a master’s degree program.
- Contribute to the attainment of the state’s higher education and regional economic development goals in a high-growth industry by creating a better career ladder for individuals that are currently working as an educator with the likelihood of earning higher lifelong wages.
WALK-IN OFFICE HOURS
Mary E. Beans, Ed.D. Professional Technical Teacher Education Faculty Lead
Office Location: C222A
Contact Information: (206) 934-6858 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday: 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM - 4:30 PM
***Meetings can be arranged outside of office hours by appointment***