Opening a Bank Account
The information on this page is intended as a resource for international students who attend South Seattle College.
To get an ATM/Debit card and a checkbook, you will need to
open a checking account at a bank. ATM/debit (VISA or MasterCard) can be used
on any ATM machine, and anywhere that accepts VISA/MASTERCARD. Many stores
require identification with current address information when writing a check,
for example, a passport, Washington Driver’s Licenseor
State ID Card.
ATM/Debit card is different from a Credit Card. It takes money out of your bank account when you use it. Make sure you have enough money in your account to cover your expenses. If you over withdraw you might get a fine.
- ATM usually charge $2.00 per transaction and your bank might charge $2.00 if you use a non-branch ATM. Watch for these fees and keep track of money in your account.
- Never tell anyone your PIN# (Personal Identification Number). The account can be used with this information.
- Never write a check without having money in your account. If you do there are a large fine from the store and the bank.
- Never sign an empty check.
There are several banks around South Seattle College.
SW Barton Street
17th Avenue SW
SW 100th Street
Ambaum Boulevard SW
SW 152nd Street
28th Avenue SW
required to open a bank account:
to ask when opening a bank account:
- Is there a minimum starting deposit?
- Is there a minimum account balance required?
- Is there a charge when receiving an international wire transfer?
- Is there a charge when sending a wire transfer?
- Is there a bank close to my house or easy to get to?
- Is there a fee to use the ATM?