Driving in Seattle
There are certain rules and regulations for driving in the
United States. The information on this page is intended for International
Students who attend South Seattle College.
In order to drive in the United States, you are required to
obtain a state driver’s license AND car insurance.
Steps to receive a Driver’s License:
Request a SEVIS Page from the CIE (Student
- Your letter will be completed within 2 business days. You will receive an email when the letter is complete.
- Take the letter, your Passport, Visa, and I-20 to the Washington State Department of Licensing
West Seattle Drivers Licensing Office: 8830 25th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106-3237
- Take and pass the Knowledge Test (you must pass with 20 out of 25 questions correct) at an independent driving school within King County (see below for a list of locations near South Seattle Community College)
Find the Washington Drivers Guide in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Vietnamese, and Japanese here: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/guide.html
Schedule and take the Driving Skills Test at an independent driving school within King County
You must provide proof of insurance and vehicle registration if using own vehicle (insurance information is listed below)
If you are under 18 years old, you must also:
Independent Driving Schools near South Seattle College
- NorthStar Driving Academy of Burien
633 SW 150th St
Burien, WA 98166
- Defensive Driving School of West Seattle
4700 42nd Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116
- Puget Sound Driving Academy of Seattle
6417 Fauntleroy Way SW
Seattle, WA 98136
- Sears Authorized Driving School of Tukwila
301 SouthCenter Mall Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
There are hundreds of car insurance companies in Seattle and
the greater Seattle area. We recommend “shopping” for a car insurance company
that will work best for you and best fits your budget.
Some questions to consider when shopping for car
Are there translators
with your company who speak my language?
- Does your company offer a
safe driver discount?
- Can you explain your
policies to me in simple terms?
- What are your payment
- How do I manage my
- How much will my coverage
Download this information here (PDF)