Cell Phones in the United States
The information on this page is intended as a resource for international students who attend South Seattle College.
There are two service options for international students when getting a cell phone in the United States.
Pay Monthly Plan:
- No Social Security Number Needed
- No Deposit
- Pay for the service each month
If payment is not received, service will be turned off and an additional activation fee may be required
- Pay for the phone
- Activation Fee
- Social Security Number Recommended
- Without a Social Security Number, most companies require a large payment deposit ($400-$500)
- Contract for 1-2 years with payments due each month
- Discounts on purchase of phone
- Some companies may have an Activation Fee
- Virgin Mobile