Maritime Industry Booming! Help Wanted!
The maritime industry needs well-trained, skilled workers today to fill the jobs of tomorrow. To meet these needs, Vigor Industrial Shipyards partnered with South Seattle Community College to form the Harbor Island Training Center, the Classroom-In-A-Shipyard. Designed to meet the needs for all maritime companies in Puget Sound, your instructors are industry professionals who teach the necessary skills to become a shipyard welder with highly employable skills. The goal of the program is to strengthen Seattle's maritime industry and to produce marketable graduates who are ready to fill the needs of this flourishing field.
Two quarters of training will prepare you to:
- Diagnose and cure common welding defects
- Demonstrate safe operation of oxyacetylene equipment
- Complete FCAW welds in the vertical position for marine operations
- Demonstrate knowledge of joint fit-up, back gouging, shear points, weld stress and warpage, and environmental effects on weld procedures
- Safely accomplish welds out of doors in all weather conditions, and more!
You'll be prepared for shipyard-specific welding and fitting positions with starting wages of $15-$21 an hour—and begin a career path to higher-level training and higher-paying jobs.
- High school diploma or GED
- Math skills at a pre-algebra level
- Mechanical abilities and interests
- Able to understand, read and write English at an intermediate level
- 18 years or older
- In need of updated skills or retraining for the
- Able to pass a drug test
You may be eligible for funding
if you are:
- Low income and/or unemployed
- Receiving unemployment insurance or basic
- A Veteran
This six-month program starts twice a year in April and in September
8:00 am to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Harbor Island Training Center at Vigor Industrial
1801 16th Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98134-1017
For More Information
To talk to an advisor, call (206) 934-5804 or email Mary.Lockman@seattlecolleges.edu.
To get started now, go to StartNextQuarter.Org and sign up for a funding session.
For Media Inquires
For media inquires, please contact Director of Communications for South Seattle College Kevin Maloney at email@example.com or by phone (206) 934-6875.