Maritime Industry Booming! Help Wanted!
The booming maritime industry has an increasing need for
well-trained, skilled workers to fill the jobs of tomorrow,
today. Vigor has partnered with South Seattle Community
College to form the Harbor Island Training Center which will
serve maritime companies in the Puget Sound region.
Your classroom is on-site at Vigor's shipyards and your
instructors are industry professionals who teach the necessary
skills to become a professional with highly employable skills.
The goal of the program is to not only help strengthen
Seattle's maritime industry, but produce marketable students
who are ready to fill the needs of this flourishing field.
Two quarters of training will prepare you to:
- Diagnose and cure common welding defects
- Demonstrate safe operation of oxyacetylene equipment
- Complete FCAW welds in the vertical position for
- Demonstrate their knowledge of welding practices,
joint fit-up, pre-weld preparation, back gouging, shear
points, weld stress and warpage, and environmental
effects on weld procedures
- Execute shipyard specific skills
- Safely accomplish welds out of doors in all weather
conditions, and more!
Modern industrial craftspeople earn family wages. They
make real products with real value, right here in Seattle.
You'll be prepared for shipyard-specific welding and fitting
positions with wages of $14-$20 an hour—and begin a
career path to higher-level training and higher-paying jobs.
- High school diploma or GED
- Math skills at a pre-algebra level
- Mechanical abilities and interests
- Able to understand, read and write English at an
- Some welding experience preferred
- 18 years or older
- In need of updated skills or retraining for the
- Able to pass a drug test
You may be eligible for funding
if you are:
- Low income and/or unemployed
- Receiving unemployment insurance or basic
- A Veteran
This six-month program starts twice a year in April and in September
8:00 am to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Harbor Island Training Center at Vigor Industrial
1801 16th Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98134-1017
For More Information
To talk to an advisor, call (206) 934-5814 or email
For media inquires, please contact Director of Communications for South Seattle College Kevin Maloney at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (206) 934-6875.