The Admissions Application is your first step in the Enrollment Process. By filling out this FREE Admissions Application, you will become an official South Student and will receive a 9-Digit Student Identification (SID). Read through the following information to see if the Admissions Application is appropriate for you.
Who may apply to South?
The Seattle Community College District operates on an open door admission policy (District Policy 305). Consistent with available space and resources, each campus admits those persons who:
- Are competent to profit from the curriculum offerings of the District; and
- Would not, by their presence or conduct, create a disruptive atmosphere within the College District inconsistent with its purpose; and
- Are 18 years of age or older; or
- Are high school graduates or have a GED; or
- Have applied for admission under the provisions and qualifications of student enrollment options programs such as Running Start or a successor program; or through other local student enrollment option programs. However, an applicant transferring from another institution of higher education who meets the above criteria, but who is not in good standing at the time of his or her transfer, may be conditionally admitted on a probationary status as determined by the chief administrative officer or his or her designee;
- Are students age 16 and over who meet the provisions of Title III of the Workforce Investment Act who may then enroll in certain adult basic education classes. Individuals admitted into such classes will be allowed to continue as long as they are able to demonstrate, through measurable academic progress, an ability to benefit from the curriculum offerings.
- If not qualified under subsections above, has filed an appropriate written release from the public, private or home school he or she is attending or last attended, provided they are at least 16 years of age or older.
Admissions Exception: The college does not desire to replace or duplicate the functions of the local public schools; however, persons under the age of 18 may request special admission on a course-by-course basis, provided they have attained at least high school junior standing. Criteria for granting admission are: competency at an appropriate academic, artistic, and/or technical talent level and the ability to participate in an adult learning environment.
Please do NOT complete an admissions application if you:
- will be attending SSCC while you are still in high school. Contact the Running Start Department on opportunities to attend SSCC
- are a non-immigrant or international student. Go to the International Students Web page for application information.
- attended SSCC in the past and wish to re-enroll. Make an Advising appointment to learn about your next steps.
- are interested in any of the following programs. Contact the department directly for admission details.
To begin the application process, please use our Online Application. Once your application is completed, it will be submitted to Admissions Department for approval. This is not an automatic process and can take 1-2 business days before you will receive a response. Once approved, you will receive 2 emails. The first email will provide you your 9-digit Student Identification (SID) for South. You will need this for future enrollment steps. The second email will provide you helpful information on your Next Steps to Enroll. If you do not receive the first email but get the 2nd email, check your junk mail to see if it was filtered. Otherwise, contact the Admissions department to send you the appropriate information or for any help you may need.