ALL CLEAR: Nearby police activity has concluded. Campus has reopened.

Enrolling/Placement Tests

Please see our Steps to Enroll for more information on how to enroll at South Seattle College. Please be sure to complete the placement exam prior to meeting with an advisor. If you have successfully completed a College Level English course and a College Level Math course, then you will not need to take the placement exam. Instead, you will need to bring a copy of your transcript with you to registration. More information on the placement exam can be found here: Placement.
If you have already earned a bachelor’s degree, you do not need to see an advisor. You can simply take your transcript (unofficial is fine) to Registration and they will assist you with registering for the courses you would like. However, if you did not pass College Level Math or English as part of your bachelor’s degree, you may need to take the placement exam to qualify for certain courses.

All new students must take the placement exam unless they have taken the COMPASS within the last two years at another institution or can demonstrate on a college transcript that they have successfully completed College Level Math and English with a 2.0 or higher.

If you would like to use COMPASS scores from another college, you will need to bring those scores in a signed, sealed envelope to the Testing Office at South or ask the other college to fax them to our Testing Office at 206-934-6766. Note: Students at North Seattle and Seattle Central do not need to do this. We can look up your test scores using our shared computer system. Contact information for our Testing Office can be found here: Student Assessment Services

Transferring Credits to South

If you are transferring credits from another college, you will need to submit official transcripts and an evaluation request form. More information on that process and the required form can be found here:

The evaluation process can take 4-6 weeks depending on the number of requests received. If you would like an unofficial evaluation of your transcript, you may request that as part of your advising appointment. Be sure to bring your unofficial transcript with you to your appointment.

Please note that we can use unofficial transcripts to register you for courses, but to transfer the credits to South to earn a degree or to be able to register online in future quarter, you will need to submit an official transcript and evaluation request form.

Advising Appointments

Please call 206-934-5387 to schedule an advising or counseling appointment. We have appointments available from 8am to 4:30pm Monday through Thursday and 9am-4:30pm on Friday with some evening advising available on Mondays and Tuesdays. We offer walk-in appointments during the busy times of the quarter. Please call for the current walk-in schedule.

All new students to South need to meet with an advisor prior to registering for classes. Currently enrolled students should check in with their advisor or counselor to ensure they are successfully completing classes that meet their degree requirements.

Whenever you need us! You will want to come in during the first few weeks of the quarter (after you get settled into courses) to make a plan for the next quarter(s). Please plan ahead as advising appointments fill up quickly during peak advising times.

If you have unofficial transcripts from another college, please bring those. Otherwise, bring your questions and any degree plan created in a previous advising session. If planning to register for classes, you will need to bring a list of classes you are hoping to take.

Educational Planning

Our quarterly course listings can be found online at: Simply click on the department you are interested in (e.g. English) and then the Item # of the course to see additional information about the course and how many students are enrolled. You may also email our Student Outreach, Admissions, and Recruitment office to request a quarterly schedule to be sent you in the mail. They can be reached at

You can easily access a list by looking at the Degree Audit on line for your program of study at the following link:

Using the drop-down menu, select the certificate or degree that you are seeking, and then run the audit. At the top of the page, click on “Expand all” to get a detailed report. Under each requirement, you can click on the small “options” box to get a listing of courses that will fulfill that requirement. If you need assistance to be sure that you are selecting appropriate classes, please see an advisor.



To order an official transcript, please see the following instructions from our website:

You can order an official transcript (see above) from South to be sent to any other college. You will need to check the website of each school to determine what else you need to do to ensure your credits are transferred.

Transferring to a Four-Year University

Our classes transfer easily to UW. To find out how they will transfer, please visit the UW Equivalency Guide at:

In addition, don’t forget to look up your major or program prerequisite courses by visiting their Academic Planning Worksheets at: and the departmental web page:

Please see our Transfer Center online at: Transfer Resources or make an appointment to see an advisor or counselor by calling 206-934-5387.

Other FAQs